Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 07:55:23 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  Other Skill Toys  |  5 ball juggling...tips? (and my first 6 ball qualifies) « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 ball juggling...tips? (and my first 6 ball qualifies)  (Read 1506 times)
hcjesse
Jesse Christe
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

VsNYYC

5 ball juggling...tips? (and my first 6 ball qualifies)
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:48:56 AM »

so to all you 5 ball jugglers on here, any advice on doing 5 balls better? obviously my form sucks but i'm having a hard time correcting it...tips?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foljsfi9eNw[/youtube]

Edit: Totally unrelated, but I just qualified 6 balls! woo!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjouiQIvvKc[/youtube]

Double Edit: Just flashed 7!!! I'm gonna try getting it on film, so stoked right now!
Edit: Up to 9 catchs with 7 now  coolsmiley, 54 rounds of 4 ball mills mess and 6 rounds of 5b mills mess, woo
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:00:21 PM by hcjesse » Logged

Team Vs. Newton

Official suicide world record holder---56
JoeBadass
Stephen Fuentes
Trade Count: (25)
The Nation

OD CODE1 ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

Re: 5 ball juggling...tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:38:01 AM »

Why are you so talented?  Grin

lilasianboy193
The Nation

Re: 5 ball juggling...tips?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »

practice getting consistent throws. So all the balls end up the same height and angle. You have differentiating for both so it harder for you to keep it going because you have to adjust every time.
kyo
Trade Count: (11)
The Nation

Re: 5 ball juggling...tips? (and my first 6 ball qualifies)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »

yea, your throw angles are off and inconsistant. You can hear it in the timing.. watch your video and just listen to the snap of the catch, the rhythm is all over the place.

You could always take the Jason Garfield (and others I'm sure) approach.. the second you have to reach out of line for a catch, stop and start over. It's a giant pain in the nunchuck to practice this way, but it does force you to be perfect which saves you a lot of time/effort/frustration down the line when you're trying to add more complexity.. 5 balls and up aren't exactly forgiving to mistakes when you're trying to do more than just run them.

That said, nice work Smiley

Edit: I had to go find this link for you as well.. it's about Anthony Gatto, quite possibly (and likely) the greatest juggler of all time and how he practices. http://www.juggling.org/help/essays/gatto.html

Kyle
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:22:58 PM by kyo » Logged

You can argue with me if you want... but you'll still be wrong.
hcjesse
Jesse Christe
The Nation

VsNYYC

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I realize my rhythm is off, but no matter what I do I can't completely fix it due to the issue I'm about to describe: My upper right arm remains tense when juggling 5 while my entire left arm remains relaxed like it should be, so my right hand is slightly higher than my left hand making it impossible for me to have a perfect rhythm. No matter what I try I can't seem to correct the problem, I can juggle 3 and 4 with both arms relaxed but due to my muscle memory with 5 I am having a really difficult time trying to correct my right arm.

Anthony Gatto told me (yep, THE Anthony Gatto  cool ) that at this point it might just be better to me to practice 5 using a higher pattern than to keep juggling 5 at a normal height because of how my arm is because the extra height would create a more even rhythm... but idk though, I think I'm starting to make a small amount of improvement on 5 balls at normal height since I posted this video. I can't really run 5 for any longer but short runs do feel a little more relaxed and more controlled, so I guess I must be making some progress?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:01:13 PM by hcjesse » Logged
kyo
Trade Count: (11)
The Nation

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »

try a higher pattern and force yourself to count it out loud, or even just in your head.. it'll 1) give you more time and not make the rhythm so obviously off and 2) perhaps force you to hear (even in your head) the problem and perhaps allow yourself to correct it. If you start to not move your hands until the proper time, even if you miss and can't run the pattern, you'll at least be starting from the right point. I think at the moment you've developed a bad habit and the only way to fix it is to completely erase it.. and that may mean not being able to run 5 for a bit until you get it right.

This goes back to the Jason Garfield thing I mentioned.. if you ONLY practice it the 'right' way, you'll never get it wrong. You will however, have to start over a lot.

Kyle
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: