Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:33:14 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  1st Impressions & Reviews  |  Angel Hair string (first impressions) « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Angel Hair string (first impressions)  (Read 1942 times)
kobansora
JJ
Trade Count: (59)
The Nation

Keep "YO" soul!

Angel Hair string (first impressions)
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:54:53 AM »

So I've gone through two ten-string bundles of YYN Highlights, YYG Day-glos, and I still have about 10 strings of Mondo Brazilian string; just to give you an idea of what strings I have tried. Today, I received my first batch of Angel Hair string.

I'm fairly new to the yo-yo community, so I'm trying everything I can to get that perfect set up for me. I wanted to see what "fast" string was like, so I bought some Angel Hair.

I found it about the same length as Highlights, if not shorter, so it kind of threw me off a bit because I just came off of longer Brazilian string. Right now, I am wearing a bandage that I have to wear to play with the Angel Hair. That bandage has been cut through by the Angel Hair, so whoever told me to buy gloves with it also was not kidding. This string is very stiff and is very much like plastic. I couldn't help but notice how much faster my yo yo was on the string, how much better it slid, and how much better my whips were, but I had to sacrifice my comfort and my hands for this. Compared to the softer strings I have been using (100% polyester), this string did not slow down my yo yo at all because of the lack of friction between the surfaces.

My highlights and brazilian strings would start to fray after a couple hours of play, but I've been playing with the angel hair for more than six hours and they haven't even started to fray yet. I can't wait for them to break in because apparently they will be godly. Apparently this string lasts for weeks. We'll see....

Also coming is my batch of g-string as well. Can't wait to compare the two Cheesy

YYN Feedback!
Pics Upon Request translates to I Am Lazy
neX_Con
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

Re: Angel Hair string (first impressions)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:56:29 AM »

Angel hair is not recommended for yo yos with big gaps,(yyf metals etc.) i got one and the binds are slipping like hell on my G5,however they bind great on my throw monkey.

Another thing is that angel hair tensions up pretty quick,not really great for doing whips or slacks,especially suicides as the string whips by very fast and you cant really react quick to catch the loop that forms during the suicide...A very light weight, quick and thin string that is great for unresponsive play.

kobansora
JJ
Trade Count: (59)
The Nation

Keep "YO" soul!

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:56:58 AM »

Yeah it does slip with my huge gap, but only at low rpms. The string hasn't tensioned up quick for me though... It's been slacking well for  much longer than my other strings I have. Usually after  a couple minutes of play my brazilian strings woould tense up like mad, but my angel hair has kept itself straight for much longer at at time. Maybe it's just because it's still new?
krazykongo
i love the yoyo. it is warm
Trade Count: (49)
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »

if u like the angel hair but feels it's too stiff and hurting your fingers, then i suggest alchemy strings. from what ive heard theyre softer than angel hairs, and play better. i have a bunch of alchemy strings which i use in most of my yos

ugdave
Trade Count: (45)
The Nation

Ditch Down Crew

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:41:56 AM »

if u like the angel hair but feels it's too stiff and hurting your fingers, then i suggest alchemy strings. from what ive heard theyre softer than angel hairs, and play better. i have a bunch of alchemy strings which i use in most of my yos

I totally agree with you.  I got alchemy and angel hair string to try out.  Thankfully I only got a 5-pack of the angel hair because I don't like it at all.  I did stick with it to break it in, but just don't like the feel.  Now alchemy is another story altogether - I LOVE this stuff.  Good thing because you can only buy it in bundles of 100 (at least as far as I've found).  But I put that in all my 1a yoyos.  It's smooth, I can suicide with it, and strong as heck.  The only time I've seen wear on it is when I use it with a hybrid response - starbursts seem to chew up any string.  But alchemy is definitely my #1 preference for string.
lilithbunny
Trade Count: (22)
The Nation

Tethered Gyroscopist

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »

I also agree. I find Angel Hair to be an abomination as a yoyo string... I positively hate it. I'm pretty sure the maker of Angel Hair didn't do much research into nylon threads available before he decided to make it. Alchemy string (100% polyester), on the other hand, is far more playable and good for whips, slacks and suicides. However, Alchemy string suffers from the same problem as Brazilian and Angel Hair in that they don't hold tension very well and Alchemy string can also give you some nasty string burns (but not as bad as Angel Hair).

You'll be very happy when your g-string finally comes in.
doomage
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »

i don't mind angel hair on say a yyj plastic(besides the legacy) but it wont bind for s**t with metals or anything sili or pad response. i find the loop on my finger is way too loose also. i've pretty much got a full pack in my case that is going to waste.

lancer
BC harrier
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »

I have stopped using Angle Hair and am acctually looking for another string to replace it. Angle Hair is hands down amazing on the string, and great for slack too. The thing is that I would have to take apart my yoyo every other throw, because the string would get bunched up(i cant really describe it well, basically when I would throw the yoyo down it would come back up right away once it hit the bunched up part.The return was like the clutch axle of a brain except right away, in less words.) So I am going to try some highlights, and hopefully I will have better luck with those.

click on my sig and win free ipod
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: