Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 04:26:55 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  YoYoNation  |  How fast does a yoyo spin, in RPM? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How fast does a yoyo spin, in RPM?  (Read 4042 times)
SCUBA Steve
SPYY
Manufacturer
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

Re: How fast does a yoyo spin, in RPM?
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 09:13:19 PM »

Welp... all technical chat aside (a good read BTW), I picked up a cheap laser tachometer (better IMHO than an LED/photo tach) on Ebay Link here.  I was messing around with it tonight and found that one of my average throws with a Radian Mk2 is around 4500 rpm and my hard throw is around 6500.  The yoyo starts to tilt and act like its seriously slowing down when the tach reads around 1500 rpm.  A good tight tug return (no bind) works best at around 2000 and higher, but like Kyo said, all this depends on gap width, sticker type blah blah and so on etc.

Introduce yourself to me at Wolrds.  I'll have the tach with me if you want to see how fast of a throw you can muster, Mister Smiley

Technology for Players
BosK
Stay on target..
Trade Count: (21)
The Nation

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 03:11:48 AM »

Sweet, can you try it on a looper??

Just curious angel

What do you mean by "kick back"? The term brings to mind the way that some yoyos will not sleep if you throw them too hard, they just wind right back up. Duncan Imperials come to mind, as do loopers. String trick yoyos almost never have that problem, even if they are tug responsive you can absolutely smash them down and they will sleep.

Kick back is when the yoyo tries to smash itself in to your shins when you throw it front style, (it tries to go back, instead if down)
jeffreypang911
Trade Count: (15)
The Nation

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 03:33:20 AM »

If people want a high rpm yo-yo, just get a yo-yo that weighs 50-60 grams with no rim weight and very small gap that uses recessed silicone.  then just whip it down as hard as you can. I bet you could get 14000 rpm for about a split second,  which then it will slow down like mad.

Its what I can see at least.
BosK
Stay on target..
Trade Count: (21)
The Nation

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 04:23:05 AM »

If people want a high rpm yo-yo, just get a yo-yo that weighs 50-60 grams with no rim weight and very small gap that uses recessed silicone.  then just whip it down as hard as you can. I bet you could get 14000 rpm for about a split second,  which then it will slow down like mad.

Its what I can see at least.

a looper?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:23:33 AM by BosK » Logged
Dazzling Dave
Trade Count: (6)
The Nation

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 08:08:37 AM »

I have been working with this for about a year now. Not a lot of science or math in my attempts, just raw power and technique.

I bought a tach, and put special tape on the yo-yo.  Some of the players in my area were getting between 4,000 and 8,000. I guess being a fixed axle player all these years has taught me to throw HARD, my best is just over 10,000 rmp.

It is a fun thing to try. The hard part is making sure everyone is testing consistently etc.

Dave

Midwest!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: