Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 01:07:50 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  For the Show-Offs: YoYo Showcase  |  THE WOOD THREAD « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE WOOD THREAD  (Read 46500 times)
oldyoyoguy
Trade Count: (40)
The Nation

You're as good as anybody and better than no one.

Re: THE WOOD THREAD
« Reply #680 on: February 24, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »

Hey guys I'm looking to just get started collecting some wood yoyos but I'm overwhelmed at the amount of yoyos that are out there. What do you guys think would be good to start a collection without spending too much cash? I also want them to be throwable

Are you looking for current or vintage?  For current, the TMBR offerings are good value (Google "TMBR yo-yos" to find them).  The YYF Legend is a modern classic; I believe the Team Shaqler sold here at YYN is an incarnation of this.  You can still get Tom Kuhns like the RD-1, 3-in-1, and Wood Rocks for OK prices, PM me if you need pointers to where these are.  There are Duncan Cross-Flags, Satellite, and Tournament repros at reasonable prices too.  An original Elfverson Kalmartrissan is a beautiful wooden yo-yo to show off!  Tom Holmes still makes custom orders at Wooden Monarch.

For vintage, here are a few reasonable offerings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-KER-Yo-Yo-professional-top-/330692506449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfecf3351#ht_500wt_1090

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ANTIQUE-DUNCAN-1960S-SUPER-TOURNAMENT-TOPS-YOYO-/170790015666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c3e0d2b2#ht_500wt_857

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cheerio-Wood-Yo-Yo-Red-and-Green-/180825262263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1a0688b7#ht_500wt_1090

Have fun!
oldyoyoguy
The Nation

« Reply #681 on: February 24, 2012, 02:23:26 PM »

Hey guys I'm looking to just get started collecting some wood yoyos but I'm overwhelmed at the amount of yoyos that are out there. What do you guys think would be good to start a collection without spending too much cash? I also want them to be throwable

Oh and, duh, Ed Davidson is still cranking out custom jobs over at YoYoSpin.com.  Check out his gallery.
theironspud
Trade Count: (3)
The Nation

worst yo-yoer ever

« Reply #682 on: February 27, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »

I turned this last week- not too bad for a first effort, I think.  FHZ-esque profile, oak.

j4ymz
Trade Count: (5)
The Nation

« Reply #683 on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:52 AM »

^ that looks awesome dude!

i've been playing wood for a few weeks now, i'm not great.  i can probably get like 3 string hits at the most,  then the yoyo dies. i dont understand how people do stuff like black hops with a wood axle. everytime i try to do black hops, when i do the first pop, the yoyo flies back into my hand. i usually have to wait a little, like do a pinwheel, then the yoyo pops nicely to the next string and the next, but then it runs outta juice really quickly and returns with no "snap".

how do you guys get around that?

theironspud
The Nation

worst yo-yoer ever

« Reply #684 on: February 27, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »

Have you tried wax on the axle?  Which yo-yo are you using?  If it's take-apart, you can add shims to the axle in order to increase gap width.
j4ymz
The Nation

« Reply #685 on: February 27, 2012, 12:07:10 PM »

Have you tried wax on the axle?  Which yo-yo are you using?  If it's take-apart, you can add shims to the axle in order to increase gap width.

hey man, thnks for getting back to me, i have not tried waxing the axle no. will any wax do (candle)? i am using an Irving pro at the moment.
theironspud
The Nation

worst yo-yoer ever

« Reply #686 on: February 27, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »

http://www.kwos.ca/yoyo-tips/yoyo-tips.htm

(text below- Too bad Ken's pics don't work anymore.  Candle wax should be fine.)

Waxing Wood

I like using candle wax on fixed axle yo-yo's. You can experiment with other types of waxes like bees wax etc. I wax the area of string that goes around the axle. You will loose a bit of control but your sleep times will increase. Be careful and try not to put too much wax. It'll make the yo-yo very unresponsive if you over do it. I also wax the area near the finger on all my yo-yo's. My string tends to break in the finger area. This is due to the loop rubbing against the string. I find that if I put a bit of wax there, my string lasts longer. Wax the portion between the arrows. Waxing this area also prevents the slip knot from "slipping" or moving around too much while you play.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:10:41 PM by theironspud » Logged
ed
wood is good.
Trade Count: (62)
The Nation

http://SPYY.ca

« Reply #687 on: February 27, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »

i don't like the way wax feels. old proyo axles and russell axles are improved with vaseline intensive lip therapy, but i've never liked wax.
if you have a smooth axle, made of a nice hardwood, it shouldn't be necessary.

the key will always be practice and technique. you have to understand some tricks in a totally different way to hit them on wood (especially if they involve any slack at all), and your throw has to be solid, something that only time will improve. don't get too frustrated. you can hit pretty much anything on anything, but the real key is believing that with enough work (and some busted knuckles) that you can find the way through the trick.

i wanted to take my board-building design and my surfing, without the shortboard influence, into an area that was uncharted territory."
-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks
CharlyDog
Trade Count: (2)
The Nation

« Reply #688 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »

Anyone have any tips to improve consistency of response with wooden axles?  I've got a couple no jives, and a TMBR fremont set up pretty well, but they're still a little weird.  On alternating throws, I go from having a little response to having plenty of response.  That's not a great explanation, but imagine looping and having each throw alternating between response and no response, response and no response, etc.  I've got plenty of spare axles to test out, and I've tried both shimming the gap and adding response pads (dead duncan stickers and TK linen pads), but I'm still not completely dialed in yet.  Any suggestions?
Hollandyo
cthulhu fhtagn
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

« Reply #689 on: February 29, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »

Last nigt I dreamt that I had a no-jive and was playing the pants off of it. I really need to get my hands on one.

esotericorderofvegon.tumblr.com
theironspud
The Nation

worst yo-yoer ever

« Reply #690 on: March 01, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »

you can get a No-Jive 3 now from Tom Kuhn- ball-bearing axle.

pretty rocking specs for a standard wooden yo-yo offering.
j4ymz
The Nation

« Reply #691 on: March 14, 2012, 08:38:32 AM »

so... i got the no jive 3. it's pretty awesome,

one thing tho...i'd say the shape is closer to the sleep machine than it is to the og no jive.

which is odd cos in the picture, it seems the butterfly shape is more flared than it actually is...

anyone else find the same thing? (maybe ill post a pic later tonight if i get round to it)

attybud
« Reply #692 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »

I can illuminate.  Actually, the one on the left is a No-Jive Clean Machine with a really cool grain.  The NJ3 was originally planned to be made of Batik bodies; Sleep Machine bodies were used instead, per Brad's information. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:31:03 AM by attybud » Logged

Indeed, I did.  I did, indeed,
             My daring-do with all due speed. 
             Without due speed, I dare not do,
             What ho, indeed - not one, but two! 

j4ymz
The Nation

« Reply #693 on: March 15, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »

yea "tom kuhn" got bck to me and said that the nj3 is the same body shape as the sleep machine...im not sure if its the same as the batik tho, unless the batik also has the same shape as the sleep machine.. ?

edit. ah right just saw a batik, i get what you mean.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:14:27 AM by j4ymz » Logged
YoYoSpin (the original)
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

« Reply #694 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »

Here's some woodies I've recently turned:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:00:33 PM by YoYoSpin (the original) » Logged

Best regards,
Ed Davidson aka YoYoSpin
http://yoyospin.com
ed
wood is good.
The Nation

« Reply #695 on: April 14, 2012, 09:57:07 AM »

nice to have you on here ed! i've been a fan a long time. and you have a great name.
beautiful stuff!
attybud
« Reply #696 on: April 14, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »

And they're great fun to throw!   
ed
wood is good.
The Nation

« Reply #697 on: April 14, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »

my whole yo-yo world for 4+ months now. still feels like day 1... with a few more rough edges perhaps.
oldyoyoguy
The Nation

« Reply #698 on: April 14, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »

my whole yo-yo world for 4+ months now. still feels like day 1... with a few more rough edges perhaps.

By the end of the year, it'll resemble SRV's strat!
ed
wood is good.
The Nation

« Reply #699 on: April 20, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »

Well... I don't make it sing like SRV's strat, but anyway... Here's what I'm doing with it. Some cool new stop n go elements if nothing else.

http://vimeo.com/40713512
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:48:57 PM by ed » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: