Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 07:02:57 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  For the Modders  |  Cant remove bearing shield... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cant remove bearing shield...  (Read 283 times)
bone2throwcs
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

Cant remove bearing shield...
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:24:10 AM »

I'm new to throwing but I'm learning quite a bit pretty fast. The only problem I have is that I can't seem to remove my bearing casing in my crucial delicious. Its size c I believe. Any suggestions?
fitchh
Trade Count: (50)
The Nation

Re: Cant remove bearing shield...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »

Some bearings are sealed, and they don't have a C-clip. That means they aren't meant to be opened.

ILYYs normally have sealed bearings, like this:

While most other yoyos have bearing with a C-clip, like this:

If you look closely at the second picture, on the inside of the outer race on the left side you will see a small clip. If your bearing has this, use a sewing needle to get under it and pry it out. Then your shield will pop off easily. Each side of the bearing has one.
While the first picture does not have one. If your bearing doesn't have a clip, I advise you don't try to remove the shield.

I hope you have found this information useful.
Graiskye
Just a guy who enjoys yoyos
Trade Count: (15)
The Nation

Re: Cant remove bearing shield...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »

If your bearing is working fine, I would not worry too much about removing the shields, the bearing can still be cleaned, and crucial I am pretty sure does not sell yoyos with greased packed in the bearings(as is pretty common practice with most bearings), it should be quite clean.
 Myself I have a bunch of experience with bearings and I remove the shields to clean, then I replace the shields. Not everyone wants to go to this much trouble, but I find replacing the shields keeps my bearings spinning free quite a lot longer than if not.
 It is NOT REQUIRED in any case, usually a good soak in some type of solvent will clean a shielded bearing just fine.
 now if there is some foreign particles in the bearing, you will need to remove the shields to get the crud out, a bearing should sound very smooth. If there is any resistance or stickiness when spinning, you need to clean your bearing, sometimes this is as simple as just blowing on the bearing, give it a quick blast of air from a 'Air in a Can', or a compressor if you happen to have one, a quick blast of air, and it might be free and spinning away. 95% of the time this does the trick.
So I always start with air, if that doesn't get the gunk out I go to a solvent bath.

Solvents...... solvents are tricky because they are inherently dangerous so always keep that in mind at all times.
the Solvent I recommend is '99% Isopropanol', its one of the more benign solvent you can choose, the odor is pretty mild(as far as solvent odors go, some may find it pretty bad still), it is safe to use with no respirator(painters type mask), and it is quite safe to touch, in fact 'Rubbing alcohol' is the exact same stuff they just add 30% water per volume. So yeah I find IsoAlc to be a pretty safe choice, its been my solvent of choice for many years when just a gentle solvent action is needed.
 That said one should still be aware that working with ANY solvent is dangerous and should be approached with care and responsibility.
Pretty well all solvents(any that I have ever come across at least) are highly flammable, this includes the fumes, so you really do need to be careful, some of them are also quite harmful if touched or absorbed through our skin, I just want everyone to be AWARE, then youll be safe.
 Good luck and have fun.

'Smile, your hobby is playing with a child's toy'
 -ReverendYo
'I think on these internet forums (and for kids at contests) the sport has become trading/buying and bragging about cool, rare yoyos than actually playing.'
-Wiggum
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: