Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:54:42 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  For the Modders  |  Rim weight vs Center weight? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rim weight vs Center weight?  (Read 2079 times)
Humphrey
Trade Count: (6)
The Nation

Re: Rim weight vs Center weight?
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 10:24:41 PM »

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming into this. Rim weighted yoyos have more angular momentum, so they spin longer.

The idea that a center weighted yoyo has more friction is ridiculous.
R-fly
The Chemist
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

Re: Rim weight vs Center weight?
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 01:28:07 AM »

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming into this. Rim weighted yoyos have more angular momentum, so they spin longer.

The idea that a center weighted yoyo has more friction is ridiculous.

I think assuming stuff while ignoring the equations governing friction is ridiculous. I'm not a tribologist but I am a chemist who studies materials with important tribological properties and I like to think i know quite a bit about friction. Energy lost to friction is mu times the integration of force times xd(x). Number of revolutions matters. A faster spinning yoyo (center weight) will complete more rev per sec meaning more energy lost to friction per second.

You are ignoring distance traveled.

Honestly I think most of our discussion is irrelevant to real world yoyo play as a rim weighted yoyo converts translational motion of the throw into rotational more efficiently so you are starting off with more rotational energy from the start anyway. This is my guess as what the key factor in all this really is.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:12:38 AM by R-fly » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: