Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 11:37:03 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  1st Impressions & Reviews  |  Stardust v2 first impression « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stardust v2 first impression  (Read 1356 times)
stargazerO.o
every day i spend alive, i'm that much closer to my death. you can't take it with you. the fact that i'm dying doesn't keep me from living. i throw what i want and I bang it on the ground - Ed H.
Trade Count: (79)
The Nation

Vs. Newton Yoyo Concepts

Stardust v2 first impression
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »

Wow, wow wow wow wow wow.

I was expecting good things from this yoyo but WOW. All my original 44re's including my 2 stargazers and stardust v1 had some vibe to them, this one is dead smooth. Not to mention the blue color (i got a beadblasted blue one) is amazing and the beadblast is basically perfect. I mean I really can't speak highly enough of this yoyo so far, it plays like a dream come true.

In the past it would seem that 44re's yoyo's vary as far as vibe goes, some people got dead smooth stargazers while some got ones that vibed. Pretty much all original stardusts vibed some worst than others though. The reason I mention this is because I think that this yoyo may be the same way. I may have gotten one of the smooth ones and the one someone else might get might vibe. I just figured that was worth mentioning.

Honestly though, if your a fan of 44re pick one of these up. I seriously feel like they have stepped it up with this.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:28:32 PM by stargazerO.o » Logged

yourfavorite
isyourfavorite.
Trade Count: (13)
The Nation

<3 One Drop

Re: Stardust v2 first impression
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »

My first impression of this throw was... WTF AXLE!!! The axle in this thing is massive and made of titanium. I'm not sure their reasoning for this, but I doubt its all that necessary. Kind of cool looking though. Mine plays pretty nicely as well. I don't think its going to move into a constant player or anything. Personally I feel like it could use a little more spin time. However I will say that I've only played with it for a 3-4 hours total so my opinion may change as it often does.

Your favorite yoyo sucks
There is no no yo yo zone

My BST Thread
Vendetta
Trade Count: (68)
The Nation

Not Fail

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 01:25:33 AM »

My first impression of this throw was... WTF AXLE!!! The axle in this thing is massive and made of titanium. I'm not sure their reasoning for this, but I doubt its all that necessary. Kind of cool looking though. Mine plays pretty nicely as well. I don't think its going to move into a constant player or anything. Personally I feel like it could use a little more spin time. However I will say that I've only played with it for a 3-4 hours total so my opinion may change as it often does.

Wow, that is surprising.  My Stargazer has massive rim weight, and spins the longest of any yoyo I have thrown, aside from my General Yo stuff.  Considering they are very similar designs, I'm surprised to hear this.

yourfavorite
isyourfavorite.
The Nation

<3 One Drop

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 01:39:18 AM »

Well I just went and tried this with a broken in AIGR instead of the KK. It now spins for plenty of time, but is slightly less smooth. I would also like to add that if you are a fan of IRG, this throw is not for you. However it is crazy smooth on finger grinds.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:54:03 AM by yourfavorite » Logged
sicyo
"Itís time to evolve ideas. You know, evolution didnít end with us growing thumbs." - Bill Hicks
Trade Count: (35)
The Nation

throwing since '96

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 03:29:10 AM »

The clear BB'd ones look sweet. This was such an extremely limited run though.

Can't wait to try one out either way Wink

stargazerO.o
every day i spend alive, i'm that much closer to my death. you can't take it with you. the fact that i'm dying doesn't keep me from living. i throw what i want and I bang it on the ground - Ed H.
The Nation

Vs. Newton Yoyo Concepts

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:47:48 PM »

Yea the clear beadblast did look pretty amazing, I was having a hard time choosing between the two. I'm still not sure if I made the right decision. The reason I chose blue was because I remember when I was looking at pictures of the stargazer on YYN the silver/white side looked really really white and when I got it it was more gray then white. I think the same thing happened here and it's a bit more silver/gray in real life.
sicyo
"Itís time to evolve ideas. You know, evolution didnít end with us growing thumbs." - Bill Hicks
The Nation

throwing since '96

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 02:32:58 PM »

Yeah it's probably the lighting. I wish there was a way to get a grindable white surface on yo-yos. Maybe candyblast?
stargazerO.o
The Nation

Vs. Newton Yoyo Concepts

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 03:34:47 PM »

I'm not sure, the closest thing I'v seen to white that was candyblasted was my silver 09 proto wasabi. I'd imagine that they also can't do white though. I believe that candyblasting is just the texturing that's applied after it's been ano'd. I don't think the candyblasting itself gives the color. I could be mistaken though.
sicyo
The Nation

throwing since '96

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »

I wonder what it is about aluminum that does that. It is disappointing really, white yo-yos are so pretty.
Vendetta
The Nation

Not Fail

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »

Candy blasting is essentially beadblasting with different media and a different technique.  It is done before ano.  However, it is still ano'd.  The anodization is the limitation, as applying dyes is still used for their yoyos.  White is still not possible.  (by not possible, I mostly mean economically and safely)
sicyo
The Nation

throwing since '96

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 10:59:30 PM »

What causes it to be costly and unsafe?
yourfavorite
isyourfavorite.
The Nation

<3 One Drop

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »

I got the silver one and yes it is definitely more gray than white. At the time of purchase I just wasn't feeling a pink yo yo and I just don't dig on blue throws that much. Would have loved a black one though!
Vendetta
The Nation

Not Fail

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 11:47:01 PM »

Anodizing white is highly caustic, and very expensive to do.  At least, at the moment.
yourfavorite
isyourfavorite.
The Nation

<3 One Drop

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 12:45:51 AM »

I would imagine that the first causes the second. The chemicals used to annodize white are harmful and therefore it requires more safety precautions which are expensive. I don't actually know though.
stargazerO.o
The Nation

Vs. Newton Yoyo Concepts

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 02:05:35 AM »

Candy blasting is essentially beadblasting with different media and a different technique.  It is done before ano.  However, it is still ano'd.  The anodization is the limitation, as applying dyes is still used for their yoyos.  White is still not possible.  (by not possible, I mostly mean economically and safely)

Thanks for clearing that up bro, I was basically guessing I just knew it wasn't what was mainly giving it the color.
wayne927
Trade Count: (51)
The Nation

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »

I wish there was a way to get a grindable white surface on yo-yos.
The only white metal I've seen that's grindable (according to reviews) and not just paint:

I wish there are more of these, but apparently it's not easy...

i copied this from somewhere else i wote it

"The application for putting the white finish on is quite complex, time consuming and expensive to perform. The material used is the same as the black however the black disguises the inconsistencies in the color added a little better than the white. It now I feel compelled to explain this is not cosmetic like some finishes but mechanical and in large areas appears white, while in small areas it to the intricacies in the finish is transparent (the material is still bonded to the metal but the color is not even in the finish). This is the main reason why you dont see white coating of this material on everyday items."

Im still whiteless...so you are going to have to excuse my ignorance but the 'uneven' area is predominently on the inside edges near the dial like in the pics?

ben

Toronto Yoyo Club
http://www.yoyotoronto.com

University of Toronto Yo-Yo Club (UTYYC)
http://yoyo.sa.utoronto.ca
sicyo
The Nation

throwing since '96

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 03:06:13 AM »

Wow you're awesome wayne, thanks for that Smiley
krazykongo
i love the yoyo. it is warm
Trade Count: (49)
The Nation

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 05:29:58 AM »

Yeh the white coating on 401ks were inconsistent and added quite a bit of thickness to the metal. The black version was a lot better than the white.

ToTi
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 09:06:17 AM »

can some one help me give more detail between this yoyo with stargazer, I like the stargazer one and think to buy this one  Undecided
Mordel
Trade Count: (5)
The Nation

Strangler of proles/drinker of victory bourbon

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 03:33:32 AM »

Do the clear coat ones grind okay? Does anyone know? I'm going to try to get a bead blasted one and am not necessarily a grind fiend, but if I am spending $140 on a yo-yo, I want to get as much out of it as possible. The main reason that I am asking is because I have a feeling by the time I am able to buy one, there will probably only be clear coat ones left..then again, I want pink BB which is a pretty fruity choice, so maybe I'll get lucky.

Info would be appreciated on that.

Also; the general consensus on these is that they are all consistently smooth as hell or...?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: